Kindness is one of those things that we forget too often. When we’re angry or frustrated, or just don’t understand someone else’s life or viewpoint, we forget to stop and put ourselves in their shoes. This can lead to misunderstandings and miscommunication that impacts both parties well beyond that difficult interaction.
This year, I’m committed to being the light in someone’s life. Not just when someone needs a helping hand or a pick-me-up, but every day. Like Bigweld in the movie Robots says, “See a need, fill a need.”
Sadly, we’re all so busy in our lives that we don’t even take a moment to register what the needs of others are. Waiting in the check-out line at the store, we’re on our phones. Sitting in the waiting room at the dentist’s office, we’re on our phones. Making dinner at home, we have the television droning on in the background.
What we could do instead is connect with others, because sometimes what people really need is just a simple conversation. Or a smile. Or a hug. It’s as easy as that.
If you want to be the light in someone else’s life, to make a difference to others, here’s what I recommend:
- Have gratitude for what you have in your own life. Tell people how much you appreciate them and go out of your way to show it.
- Look for the silver lining, even when things are difficult.
- Listen to and internalize daily affirmations. I discovered The Secret to Money app and The Secret Daily Teachings app recently, where you can get daily affirmations as well as help manifesting the best life possible.
- Give back to others. I recently did just that with Charlie, but you can give back in smaller ways. A smile, a nice note, kind words, forgiveness.
- Put away your phone and strike up a conversation with a stranger. This doesn’t have to be forced; ask a question and truly listen to the answer.
When was the last time you can truly say that you made a difference in someone else’s life? If you can’t remember, then do something today to be the light in someone’s life. And then tell me about it!