No matter what your health and fitness goals, nearly everyone could find ways to move more. So many of us are stuck behind a computer for hours on end every day, only to go home and sit on the couch.
The inactivity is costing us our health, but it’s actually really easy to start moving more in an effort to lose weight and improve our overall well-being. And with all the apps and trackers available, you can see the results of your efforts quickly.
I recommend having a tracker like the Apple watch or a Garmin that syncs with your phone and activity app so you have a record of how much you’re moving historically. Many of these devices and apps will also keep track of the activities you’re doing (walking, running, hiking, cycling) and your heart rate, calories burned and more.
Here are just a few ways you can move more in your day-to-day activities.
- Take the dogs for a walk. They need exercise too!
- Join a Couch to 5k program.
- Park farther away from the door.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Walk around the block or park when your kids are at sports practices.
- Get to sports games early and take a walk as a family.
- Catch up with friends on a walk instead of happy hour.
- Challenge your family to walk the most steps in a week.
- Make your next date night a night hike.
- Spend half your lunch hour walking.
- Do push-ups, sit-ups, jumping jacks or some other movement during television commercials.
- Switch to a standing desk and march in place when you’re on a call.
Moving more doesn’t have to be complicated and it doesn’t have to be a structured workout. It can be as simple as just forgoing some of the modern conveniences we’ve all come so accustomed to, like elevators and escalators.
Whatever you’re doing and wherever you’re going, just move more!