You hear it every time you’re on an airplane: put your own oxygen mask on first, before you help someone with theirs.
Why is this so important? If you can’t breathe, you can’t help someone else. If you don’t take care of yourself first, you’ll have nothing left to give others.
More than 14 years ago, I started a journey that allowed me to take care of myself. It’s part of my Beachbody story but it’s also part of so much more.
When I first started working as a coach, I knew it was because I needed a change in my life. I wasn’t taking care of myself and was putting everything else first.
I started taking care of me and giving myself the time I needed to grow as a person, a mom and a partner. Then I started mentoring others who had the same struggles I did. I learned so much about myself and about using boundaries to grow as a person.
Today, I know how important it is to make time for myself, even in the chaos of being a mom of four very active children and running a business I love (but that’s still a lot of work!).
Taking care of yourself first means not just that you eat right and exercise. It means that you end up having better relationships–with yourself, your friends, family, partner and children. It means you’re more fulfilled because you have the energy to do what you want to do–and what you need to do.
So how do you take care of yourself? If you’re racking your brain trying to come up with ideas, let me help:
- Establish a morning routine. It doesn’t have to be complicated, but it does need to be something you can commit to each day. If your morning routine feels too complicated, try starting with just one or two things you do every morning. Then add new pieces to your routine as they feel right.
- Take a time out when needed. We can’t all be “on” all the time; it’s okay to ask your partner or your kids for a time out from time to time. If you have older kids, give them the responsibility of making dinner once or twice a week. (It’s okay if it’s just macaroni and cheese!) Find ways to give yourself a break and give others some of your normal responsibility. It’s good for all of you!
- Find a hobby. Is there something that you enjoy doing that your family doesn’t? Maybe you’ve let go of something you love to spend more time with your family. It’s okay for you to have things you enjoy away from your kids and partner. Mine is tennis. Pick up that hobby again and savor the time you get to spend doing it.
- Attend personal development classes. Growing and learning as a person is a really great way to take care of yourself. Identify an area where you’d love to grow and find a class or book on the topic. Then dig in!
- Lead and teach others. This is probably the most fulfilling part of being a Beachbody coach. I get to help others grow as individuals and as business owners and help them reach their biggest goals and potential. Find a way to do that in whatever your passion is.
Whatever steps you take, find ways to take care of yourself. We only get one life to live; make it the best possible!